Jump to navigation Jump to search
Using afraid.org for dynamic DNS.
Dynamic DNS & pfSense
Configuring pfSense to use it properly seems to be a mystery to the internet at large as the findable instructions are always wrong.
Here goes a (hopefully) clear attempt:
- Go to afraid.org & register
- Pick & register a subdomain
- go here: http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/
- right-click the "Direct URL" button next to the subdomain you're going to use & Copy link address
- Paste the URL into a text editor & remove everything up and including "/update.php?"
- What's left will be your "password" to be entered into pfSense
- Log into your pfSense server & select Services / Dynamic DNS
- click the ADD button
- In the "Service Type" box, select "freeDNS"
- check that "Interface to monitor" is "WAN"
- enter the subdomain you chose at afraid.org in the "Hostname" box
- i.e.: "tinker.farted.net"
- Empty the "Username" box
- Paste the "password" created in step 5 above in the "Password" box
- Paste the "password" created in step 5 above in the "Confirm" box
- Type in a description if you like
- Click "Save"
Using ClouDNS for dynamic DNS.